Leaders: If you are lacking commitment from your team or employees, then here are some suggestions to help them let their guard down to get better commitment.
- Give your expectations early and often - set the environment!
- Treat your players fair and don't show favoritism.
- Give Feedback and give them time to adjust and confidence to work on their weaknesses.
- Verbalize and show your commitment to your players/employees.
It's not going to be a quick fix so a trip to go bowling is not the fix to building trust to get commitment. People need to know you care about them - outside of what they do for you. You have to show compassion outside of just when they are doing everything right. That includes when they make mistakes.
Players or Employees: If you feel like your authority does not have commitment to you and is making you feel uneasy then here are some steps you can take:
- Communicate directly with your supervisor/coach about your frustrations. Do it with all discretion and with the utmost respect.
- Show compassion to your supervisor and give them the benefit of the doubt that they may not even realize what they are doing.
- DO NOT EVER LET IT CHANGE YOUR WORK ETHIC OR YOUR LEVEL OF COMMITMENT! Understand that you cannot control how people treat you, but don't let it change you from being a good person who is dependable. Keep working hard and know that you will not always get back what you give to others. Don't let it change you!
You can hear the Jackson's Podcast on commitment on spreaker.com or by following this link: https://www.spreaker.com/user/kbjacademy
We air motivational podcasts Mondays at 7:30 pm CST on spreaker or you can like us on Facebook: KBJ Academy to see us recording live.